Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Varicose Veins & Travelling Overseas?

Hi, I have varicose vein and am travelling overseas. I read on smart traveller that you can get blood clots easier if you enjoy varicose veins and if you are taking the contrecptive pill (which I am). Blood clots can develop within your legs from inactivity. Sitting on an airplane for extended period of time puts you at a higher risk because of the varicose vein and you not being competent to exercise your legs while you are on the plane. Birth control adds to that risk as capably especially if you are over 35 and smoke.
One thing that you can do is what is call "ankle pumps". Basically, while you are sitting on the plane, point your feet up to the ceiling and consequently down to the floor. Do this frequently during the flight. This will help the circulation contained by your legs while on the plane. Another thing that you could do is wear support hose. Jobst stockings, TED hose, or some other benign of compression stocking will help.
Hope you own a nice trip. Just keep moving those foot and legs.
You are at higher risk. But here are things you can do to help prevent them. It isn't man on the plane that increase your risk, it is being inmobile for hours on finishing with pressure placed on the put a bet on of your knees from the seats. To assist prevent clots avoid crossing your legs. Walk around frequently. I once read that by keeping well hydrated and walking around every few hours also help with squirt lag. On my flight home from Italy I would drink hose, take a doze, wake up to use the bathroom and construct a lap around the villa.

No comments:

Post a Comment